For more than 40 years, the lawyers at Barnes Cohen & Sullivan have been aggressively working on behalf of the victims of nursing home abuse and neglect. We are proud of our track record of holding nursing homes that cut corners accountable. Contact our law firm today for a free consultation in Jacksonville, Florida, or Kingsland, Georgia.
SERVING THE VICTIMS OF NURSING HOME NEGLECT IN NORTH FLORIDA & SOUTH GEORGIA
Nursing Home Abuse FAQs
- Abuse – an intentional infliction of injury, unreasonable confinement, intimidation, care or service deprivation or punishment that results in physical harm, pain or mental anguish.
- Neglect – a failure to provide a person with the care and services necessary to ensure freedom from harm or pain.
Nursing home abuse can be categorized into four main types, including physical, sexual, emotional and financial. There may be some cases where the victim has physical injuries that signify abuse. In other cases, the victim will often show a significant change in behavior that ultimately reveals they have been through some sort of trauma. Whether the abuse has been physical or emotional, there are a few common signs to always be aware of, such as:
- Bed injuries or bed sores
- Emotionally upset or agitated
- Changes in Behavior
- Falls, fractures or injuries to the head
- Rapid weight loss or weight gain
- Unsanitary and unclean conditions
It is important to always be on the lookout for the warning signs of nursing home abuse. However, there are cases when victims will not admit that they have been abused or neglected. If you suspect that someone has fallen victim to nursing home abuse, start making more frequent and unexpected visits to the nursing home, keep a close eye on the person you suspect is being abused, and keep track of any potential problems and observations.
If you suspect that your loved one or someone you know is exhibiting signs of nursing home abuse and needs immediate attention, it is important to first call 911 in order to receive emergency medical assistance. If the victim is in a situation that is not life-threatening, it is recommended to contact the nursing home’s management as well as a professional nursing home abuse attorney who can help you with filing a personal injury claim.
Florida Nursing Home Resident Rights Include:
- Florida law states that nursing home staff cannot force residents to participate in activities that they do not want to do.
- It is the nursing home’s management staff who is responsible for preventing any staff members from using physical force or coercion to make residents do things they do not want to do.
- Florida nursing home residents have the right to receive proper medical attention, medical care for emergencies and psychiatric counseling.
- Residents need sufficient nutrition, access to physical activities, community interaction, and independent space for themselves.
- Residents should have access to safety ramps and rails, proper air conditioning and heating, clean clothes and bedsheets, and clean drinking water.
Georgia Nursing Home Resident Rights Include:
- Georgia nursing home residents have the right to refuse treatment.
- Residents have the right to receive proper care regardless of gender, race, disability, religion, sexual orientation, or national origin.
- Georgia nursing home residents or their loved ones have the right to seek justice for their rights without fear of retaliation or harassment from the nursing home.
- Residents are able to participate in their own care plan.
- Georgia nursing home residents have the right to telephone access.
As you can see, nursing home residents in Florida and Georgia have many rights. If their rights have been violated, it is best to seek a seasoned personal injury attorney who understands the full scope of a nursing home resident’s rights.
When you hire an experienced personal injury abuse attorney, you can be confident that they will represent you and your loved one’s best interest and fight for compensation and justice. At Barnes and Cohen, our expert team of attorneys have experience with nursing home abuse cases and can conduct a thorough investigation into the facts and circumstances that surround the suspected abuse or neglect.
YOU ARE NOT ALONE. WE WILL STAND UP FOR YOUR LOVED ONE.
Too many cases of nursing home neglect and abuse go unreported, but we at Barnes Cohen & Sullivan treat these cases with the seriousness they deserve.
NOT SURE WHAT YOUR CASE IS WORTH? GET A FREE CONSULTATION.
Barnes Cohen & Sullivan is a Jacksonville personal injury law firm dedicated to providing strong advocacy to personal injury clients throughout North Florida and South Georgia for over 40 years.