Ask your health care professionals the right questions, observe the environment and consider another health care facility if you believe they are not observing standard health care precautions. You and your family deserve to be treated with respect and genuine concern for your health.
By taking an active part in your health care you help to create a safer medical environment for you and your family.
Ask questions about your care so that you may fully understand your treatment plan. Prepare a list of questions in advance to ask your health care provider include a list of symptoms and family medical history. Consider the questions below as you prepare for your appointment;
- What are my options
- What are the possible benefits?
- What risks are involved in this treatment plan?
- What percentage of patients experience the risk and what percentage of patients experience negative effects from this treatment?
Your Doctor, medical staff and other healthcare workers should respect your questions and answer them with concern
- Don’t be afraid to ask Health care personnel to wear gloves
- Don’t be afraid to ask them to wash their hands.
- Don’t be afraid to ask their procedures for sterilizing equipment.
- Don’t be afraid to ask the hospital’s rate of infection in its operating rooms.
- Ask if the manufacture’s recommendation for cleaning and sterilization of the medical equipment is being followed.
- If any equipment looks used or unclean don’t be afraid to request a change in the equipment
- Does the office appear unclean or dusty? Are the linens clean? Is the paper on the examination table wrinkled or soiled?
*According to the American Medical Association and the CDC basic hand washing among health care providers is still a problem. The transmission of Antibiotic resistant pathogens in a health care setting is most often caused via the contaminated hands of the medical personnel. The CDC recommends alcohol based hand hygiene products between each patient for all medical staff in direct contact with patients.
At Barnes Cohen & Sullivan we believe you and your family deserve to be treated with respect and genuine concern for your health.
If you or a loved one has contracted an infection during a medical procedure contact Barnes Cohen & Sullivan for a Free case Evaluation and Consultation with an Experienced Medical Malpractice Attorney.
Call us today or click on the link for more information Medical Malpractice
Barnes Cohen & Sullivan is a Jacksonville personal injury law firm dedicated to providing strong advocacy to personal injury clients throughout North Florida and South Georgia for over 40 years.